OCL + BIOS: A Naturally Brilliant Solution
It’s not just about getting more light. Your project needs the right type of light at different times of the day to maximize health, productivity, and well-being. BIOS SkyBlue™ is available in most OCL lighting fixtures to meet the needs of any application and maximize the health impact of the lighting.
Upgrade Your PROJECT’s Lighting
- Support daytime alertness and focus
- Reduce brain fog and midday sleepiness
- Contribute to better nighttime sleep quality
- Maintain brilliant light quality and energy efficiency
OCL offers BIOS SkyBlue™ in most of our products. Just look for the BIOS Illuminated icon on OCL spec sheets. Or search BIOS on our site.
Why BIOS for Architectural Lighting?
What if a building could energize or calm its occupants – just through lighting? How might that improve productivity at the office? Skyrocket reviews for a luxury resort? Raise real estate prices? Quell agitation in a senior living facility? Increase engagement in the classroom? Or avoid accidents during the night shift? The benefits are innumerable… and they’re real.
And it’s all possible with BIOS’ energy-efficient BIOS SkyBlue circadian technology.
BIOS emulates the makeup of nature’s light spectrum, resulting in lighting products that our bodies respond to. While tunable lights are designed to color, our lights are engineered to physiology. And that’s what makes OCL + BIOS different.
THE MODERN DILEMMA
Most of us spend 90% of our time indoors. Our brains are naturally stimulated by and highly sensitive to the daylight signals; sitting indoors, we are not getting enough. Traditional lighting — even typical LED lighting — does not provide the proper light signals our bodies need to optimize our biological clocks and maintain healthy circadian rhythms.
- For Patients, this manifests as interrupted sleep patterns, higher depression, lower tolerance to pain, and potential reduction in medicine efficacy.
- For Students, insufficient daytime light can make students more sluggish during class time and impact academic performance.
- For Employees, insufficient lighting at work impacts mood, productivity, and overall health; This not only contributes to higher error/accident rates, but can also leave people feeling unfocused, lethargic, and unmotivated.
BIOS SkyBlue™ LED Circadian Solutions have been developed based on the latest developments in circadian photo-biological research. With a peak energy emission at 490nm, BIOS SkyBlue is the first circadian light source specifically engineered to align with the key blue sky signals our bodies need. BIOS SkyBlue Solutions provide the highest melanopic ratio for a given color temperature while ensuring comfortable and energy efficient illumination that helps to promote healthy circadian rhythms, allowing you to work more productively, sleep more soundly, and live healthier.
- Patients: Faster healing and shorter hospital stays. “Infants maintained in a light/dark cycle gained weight faster than infants in continuous light and therefore attained a shorter hospital stay” an average of 5 days.[i] Given NICU costs exceed $3500 per day, the savings can add up quickly for the 500,000 premature babies born in US annually.[ii]
- Students: Higher cognitive performance, memory, and a doubling in the ability to multi-task with optimized light levels. [iii]
- Workplace: Better productivity. A study by the retailer Staples found that “visual acuity was better with the blue light, and after four weeks, 92% of people on the floor said they preferred it over the old lighting.”[iv]
WELL Building Standard Compliant: With the industry’s high melanopic ratio, meeting WELL is easy with BIOS. BIOS SkyBlue™ Generation 2 LED circadian solutions contributes toward the Circadian Lighting Design Feature 54 under the WELL Building Standard™ v1 and Feature L03 under the WELL Building Standard v2.
SkyBlue also meets other features within the WELL Light Concept, including coloring quality offering 81+ CRI and R9 values greater than 90, visual comfort metrics, and higher m/p ratios than traditional LED lighting.
Visual and Melanopic Balance: The industry’s highest health and wellness light metric (m/p) for better sleep, better energy, and improved productivity through the incorporation of both melanopic and skin-based pathways.
Visual Comfort: With CCTs of 3000K, 3500K, and 4000K, BIOS designed wellness lighting for circadian entrainment while being easy to work, live, learn, and play under.
Questions or need help? Drop us a line